The launch of ICD-10 has created thousands of new codes for providers to learn. Physicians and other care team members should note the following vaccine-related CPT changes for 2016:
Vaccine-related CPT Changes include the following additions:
- 90625, “Cholera vaccine, live, adult dosage, 1 dose schedule, for oral use,”
- 90697, “Diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, acellular pertussis vaccine, inactivated poliovirus vaccine, Haemophilus influenzae type b PRP-OMP conjugate vaccine, and hepatitis B vaccine (DTaP-IPV-Hib-HepB), for intramuscular use.”
Both of these vaccines are pending approval by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
CPT also includes two new codes for meningococcal vaccines that were introduced in February 2015:
- 90620, “Meningococcal recombinant protein and outer membrane vesicle vaccine, serogroup B (MenB), 2 dose schedule, for intramuscular use,”
- 90621, “Meningococcal recombinant lipoprotein vaccine, serogroup B (MenB), 3 dose schedule, for intramuscular use.”
Two codes that were pending FDA approval when they appeared in the 2015 edition of CPT have now received approval:
- 90630, “Influenza virus vaccine, quadrivalent (IIV4), split virus, preservative free, for intradermal use,”
- 90651, “Human Papillomavirus vaccine types 6, 11, 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 52, 58,
nonavalent (HPV), 3 dose schedule, for intramuscular use.”
Learn more here: http://www.aafp.org/journals/fpm/explore/online/cpt-update.html
For more information about how Continuum can assist in your coding compliance management, visit: Continuum Practice Management.