The rise of consumerism in healthcare has prompted medical practices to focus on patient expectations and satisfaction. One way that physicians and their staff can respond to these new demands is through medical office technology solutions. After all, the majority of today’s patients have grown accustomed to electronic health records, patient portals, online scheduling and payments, among others. Such solutions are essential components of an efficient practice and help reduce the need for additional staff to address these demands.
The most successful practices employ an integrated practice management, EHR and other health applications platform that improves financial and clinical performance, and offers multiple conveniences for patients. These include:
- Online scheduling and access to pre-visit information forms
- Patient portals that provide access to test results, medical records, bi-directional secure messaging, and the ability to pay bills online
- Remote monitoring such as home blood pressure or glucose readings, particularly for patients with chronic conditions
- Telemedicine solutions that allow for virtual visits between provider and patient
- Patient education materials, online surveys or chronic condition care plans
One of the greatest advantages associated with advanced medical office technology is the opportunity it creates to engage patients in their own care. Studies show that patients who utilize technology to review their medical records and care plans or electronically communicate with their providers generally experience better health outcomes. And, a 2010 survey found that 79% of respondents were more likely to select a provider who allows them to conduct healthcare interactions online, on a mobile device, or at a self-service kiosk.
Although most patients have adapted to healthcare information technology, some populations (e.g. seniors) may still be resistant. To help encourage technology adoption among this sector, share these benefits with your patients.
For assistance with any of your technology needs, contact Continuum Buying Alliance.